The mission of the Garfield Public Library is to engage all members of the community by providing service, information, technology, resources and a variety of entertainment, creating opportunities to excel in all endeavors that promote personal achievement.
The Garfield Free Public Library is concerned for the safety and well-being of your children. Please remember that the library is a public building and it is not in any child’s best interest to be left here unattended. The library has implemented the following policy for the safety of all children visiting the library.
- Children under the age of six years must be accompanied by an adult caregiver (age 13 or over) at all times while in the library.
- Children six to eight years of age must have an adult caregiver (age 13 or over) present in the library.
- Children aged nine through twelve may be left in the library without an adult for reasonable periods of time, but parents are responsible for their behavior and will be contacted if necessary. (Reasonable periods of time may vary with a child’s maturity, but generally one to two hours is acceptable.)
- Children thirteen and over may be in the library without an adult. However, should disciplinary problems arise, the library may ask the child to leave. In that event, the library assumes no further responsibility for the child.
- Under no circumstances will the library assume custodial responsibility for any child.
If problems arise while younger children are using the library or if they are left alone, the library staff will attempt to contact the parents. If the library staff is unable to reach the parents, the police will be called.
Parents are required to be at the library no later than fifteen minutes before closing to pick up children.
If no parent or caregiver arrives or can be reached by phone, within ten minutes after the library closes the police will be called to pick up the child.
For your information the following are the hours the main library is open.
Monday – Tuesday – 9:30am-8:00pm
Thursday – Friday – 9:30am-6:00pm
Saturday – 9:30am-5:00pm